Recent PowerPoint presentations about NCI are described below and may be viewed or downloaded by clicking on the underlined link.
Presentations are listed by event, in chronological order.
Academy Health Annual Research Meeting 2021: POSTER Measuring Satisfaction with Community Inclusion Of People with Intellectual & Developmental Disabilities Who Receive Long-Term Services and Supports
Enhancing LTSS Quality Infrastructure using National Core Indicators® (NCI) and National Core Indicators—Aging and Disabilities™ (NCI-AD)
NCI and NCI-AD use validated sets of performance indicators to help DD systems (NCI) and State aging and disability agencies (NCI-AD) measure and track their own performance and hear directly from people receiving services. In this webinar we discussed how NCI and NCI-AD: • Are used by states to enhance quality of their LTSS systems • Support stakeholder engagement using standardized national and state reporting • Can help enhance outreach to broaden discussions and talk with diverse groups about outcomes We also discussed how your state may be able to use ARPA FMAP funding to support this effort.
2021 AAIDD Conference, June 21-24, 2021
Sarah Taub Webinar Series: Uncovering Racial & Ethnic Disparities In Reported Experience & Outcomes Among People with IDD
In 2020, the confluence of the COVID-19 pandemic and the events surrounding the death of George Floyd exposed indisputable disparities and injustice experienced by racial and ethnic groups in the United States. Health disparities were glaringly apparent in the higher mortality and morbidity rates among Black citizens who contracted the novel coronavirus. Demonstrations against racial injustice grew over the summer in response to George Floyd’s murder and other Black men and women who died at the hands of police. Following the dramatic events of the summer of 2020, NCI put together a data brief on the subject of racial and ethnic disparities in public services for people with IDD. This webinar is a companion to that data brief. In this webinar, presenters discuss equality, disparity and policy equity, and differences in demographics and outcomes demonstrated in the NCI data. Two states present different ways they are using NCI data to address inequity. In addition, the webinar discusses a framework for examining disparities in IDD services and supports.
2020 HCBS Conference: USING DATA ON THE LONG TERM CARE WORKFORCE FOR QUALITY IMPROVEMENT
You’ve seen NCI Staff Stability Survey data on DSP turnover rates and vacancy rates, now what? This presentation examined how systems can use LTC workforce data within a “model for improvement” framework. In addition, one state discussed how they’ve dug into NCI Staff Stability Survey data to identify factors related to turnover and tenure.
NCI Update: Discussion of the CMS Request for Information (RFI) on a Recommended Measure Set for Medicaid-Funded Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS)
This webinar was designed to help NCI State Coordinators think through the CMS Request for Information (RFI) on a Recommended Measure Set for Medicaid-Funded Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS). (More info, here https://www.medicaid.gov/medicaid/quality-of-care/downloads/rfi-hcbs-recommended-measure-set.pdf) Because NCI features prominently in the “recommended measure set,” we know NCI State Coordinators may be contacted to provide feedback and insight into this important RFI. This discussion will guide NCI State Coordinators through the RFI and provide some talking points for NCI State Coordinators to present if approached for feedback. Background: The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) has published a Request for Information (RFI) on a Recommended Measure Set for Medicaid-Funded Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS). The RFI seeks feedback on a set of recommended quality measures for voluntary use by states, managed care organizations, and other entities engaged in the administration and/or delivery of Medicaid-funded home and community-based services (HCBS). CMS is also requesting stakeholder comment on the purpose and organization of the recommended measure set, the criteria used to select measures, and a preliminary draft set of measures for assessing the quality and outcomes of Medicaid-funded HCBS.
2020 Annual Meeting Session III
Thanks to everyone who participated in 2020 NCI Annual Meeting Session III on September 16, 2020.
2020 Annual Meeting Session II
Thanks to everyone who participated in 2020 NCI Annual Meeting Session II on September 9, 2020.
2020 NCI Annual Meeting Session I
Thanks to everyone who participated in 2020 NCI Annual Meeting Session I on August 12, 2020.
NCI® Update: Remote Surveying & 2020-21 Survey Cycle
NCI hosted a web-based meeting to update states as NCI starts the 2020-2021 survey year. We also wanted to hear from NCI states as they are formulating plans for the coming year. This webinar/discussion included: 1) Discussion of the importance of NCI during this critical time period 2) The COVID-19 Supplemental questions 3) Brief update on remote (videoconference) surveying option for the 2020-21 In-Person Survey (IPS) survey cycle 4) General info about the 2020-21 cycle and timeline Link to recording: https://youtu.be/akIZXozuQt4
NCI and the Medicaid Adult Core Set
Wondering what the Medicaid Adult Core Set is? Wondering how NCI fits in? Wondering how to submit your data? Find your answers here! Here is the recording https://youtu.be/tmDVI9jPoEQ
Sarah Taub NCI Webinar Series: What Do NCI Data Reveal About People Who Are Dual Diagnosed with IDD and Mental Illness?
As a complement to the latest data brief, this webinar is the next installment in the Sarah Taub NCI Webinar Series: What Do NCI Data Reveal About People Who Are Dual Diagnosed with IDD and Mental Illness? The understanding of how to provide services and supports to people who are dual diagnosed continues to deepen and expand. This webinar explores the characteristics and outcomes of people who are dual diagnosed with IDD and mental illness using the National Core Indicators' (NCI) 2017-2018 In-Person Survey data. The webinar discussed the national perspective and national action items regarding those who are dually diagnosed. The webinar examined Ohio initiatives that are demonstrating positive outcomes for people with I/DD. Presenters: • Val Bradley, President Emerita of HSRI • Jeanne M. Farr, Chief Executive Officer NADD • Tina Evans, Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities
2019 National Core Indicators Annual Meeting in Detroit, MI (July 31-August 1, 2019)
- Changes and innovations to NCI and the DD Field
- Using NCI data to examine systems level cultural and linguistic competence
- NCI Staff Stability Survey: Updates
- NCI Staff Stability Survey in Ohio
- NCI and NCI-AD
- NCI's new User-Friendly Report Templates
- Using NCI for quality assurance: Missouri's Living Well Grant
- Indiana's Living Well Grant
- Using NCI in Tennessee
- Using and sharing NCI data in Wisconsin
- Using and sharing NCI data in Michigan
- Hawaii's road to success: NCI in 2018-19
Sarah Taub NCI Webinar Series: What Do NCI Data Reveal About the Guardianship Status of People with IDD Receiving Services? (July 23, 2019)
As a complement to the latest data brief, NCI presents the next installment in the Sarah Taub NCI Webinar Series: What Do NCI Data Reveal About the Guardianship Status of People with IDD Receiving Services? This webinar explored the characteristics and outcomes of people with intellectual and developmental disabilities who have full or partial guardianship compared to those without guardianship. The webinar posed some starting points for examining the need for guardianship reform and the ways in which supported decision-making (SDM) can be expanded and alternatives instituted. DC has been successful in creating legislation around SDM and the District is working to encourage families and individuals to think about and use SDM. The work in DC was described in this webinar. The webinar also looked at a Missouri initiative that has helped families understand the nature and implications of guardianship and has resulted in reform legislation. Presenters: --Val Bradley, President Emerita of HSRI --Jane St. John Training and Development Specialist at the UMKC Institute for Human Development --Rebecca Salon Program Specialist in the DC State Office of Policy, Planning and Innovation --Aman Sanghera Performance Management Manager in the DC State Office of Policy, Planning and Innovation
Sarah Taub Webinar Series: NCI and the Missouri Division of Developmental Disabilities: Using data for change (February 28, 2019)
In this webinar, Kim Stock and Caitlin Bartley of the Missouri Division of Developmental Disabilities discuss how the Missouri Division of Developmental Disabilities utilizes National Core Indicators data to support administrative functions and quality improvement initiatives. Here is a link to the recording of the webinar https://hsri.adobeconnect.com/ppwgzo1seata/
NADD Conference, 2018: People With Self Injurious Behavior: What does NCI data tell us about their characteristics and outcomes?
This presentation provides brief background on self-injurious behavior in people with ID/DD, a review of NCI data on the relative characteristics and outcomes of people who need support for self-injurious behavior compared to those who do not, and an exploration of policy implications.
AAIDD Region X Conference: Our field at a crossroads: In the northeast and beyond
This presentation includes a discussion of the history of the field of intellectual and developmental disabilities, an overview of the successes as well as the challenges facing the field, NCI data on outcomes for people receiving services in New England and New York, and suggestions to ensure continued progress going forward.
NCI Annual meeting, Baltimore MD, July 31-August 1, 2018
- Using NCI In Quality Management: Long Term Services and Supports (LTSS) Quality in KanCare, Brad Ridley, KS
- Using NCI in Quality Management: NCI with Massachusetts DDS Quality Councils, Courtney Dutra, MA
- NCI Logistics: The OSU Nisonger Center (UCEDD) NCI Adult In-Person Survey, Annamarie Sigman & Marc J. Tassé, OH
- Using NCI in Quality Management: Nebraska's National Core Indicators Project: A Partnership Between DHHS-DD Services and the Nebraska UCEDD NCI Annual Meeting, Brad Wilson & Rachel Ray, NE
- NCI Data On Demand and On Display: National Core Indicators, C. Midgley, UT
- Using NCI in Quality Management: Sharing National Core Indicators Results with Wisconsin's Long Term Care Advisory Council, Angela Witt, WI
AAIDD Conference, June, 2018, St. Louis, MO
- A New Population-Level Data Source for Research in Adults with FASD
- Does Area Median Income Predict Obesity Rates Among U.S. Adults with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities?
- What Do National Core Indicators® Data Tell Us About Cultural, Racial and Ethnic Differences in Civic and Community Involvement
- National Core Indicators® 2016 Staff Stability SurveyReport
Sarah TaubWebinar Series: Characteristics and Outcomes of Young Adults With ID/DD Receiving Services
NCI Staff Stability Survey 2017: Webinar for Participating Provider Agencies
NASDDDS Conference, November 8-9, 2017, Alexandria, VA.
Video "NCI at 20"
NCI is celebrating its 20th year in 2017. This video discusses the history of NCI, the importance to both the field and to people with disabilities themselves, and the impact NCI has made on policy and systems. Enjoy! https://vimeo.com/240726721
AUCD Conference, Nov 5-8 2017, Washington D.C.
APHA Conference, Nov 5-8 2017, Atlanta GA
NCI Annual meeting, Scottsdale AZ, August 1-2, 2017
- NCI- Where we've been: NCI Team Presentation
- NCI – Where we are going: Using NCI to address state priorities, Lee Stephens-PA
- NCI – Where we are going: Using NCI to address state priorities: NCI in PA – How Do Efforts Align with State Policy Development?, Celia Feinstein
- NCI – Where we are going: Using NCI to address state priorities: Lessons Learned in Massachusetts Using NCI Data, Emily Lauer, MA
- NCI – Where we are going: Using NCI to address state priorities: National Core Indicators State Panel: Using Data to Address Priorities, Erin Leveton and Charlotte Roberts, DC
- NCI where we’ve been: NCI in 2017: UPDATE ON NCI FOR AGING AND DISABILITY (NCI-AD), Julie Bershadsky
- Update on studies to demonstrate reliability and validity: Examining Feedback Surveys from NCI Interviews in Florida, Cheryl Sartori
- Update on studies to demonstrate reliability and validity: National Core Indicators (NCI) Background Study, Renata Ticha, MN
- NCI – Where we are going: Using NCI to address state priorities: Addressing California priorities with NCI, Stephanie Johnson, CA
- Surveyor training and quality monitoring: NCI Training and Reliability Best Practices, Stephanie Giordano and Alixe Bonardi
- Best Practices and State Panel: State strategies for Background Information (BI) data collection: Louisiana OCDD’s NCI Prep Rally, Dolores Sarna, LA
- Best Practices and State Panel: State strategies for Background Information (BI) data collection: Oklahoma Codebook, Jennifer Jones and Kami Gallus, OK
- Surveyors who are self-advocates: People Talking to People, Frank Meeuwis, TN
- Surveyors who are self-advocates: South Dakota: ACS Interviewers, Samantha Hynes, SD
- Update on studies to demonstrate reliability and validity: • UMN projects – BI reliability study and RRTC-OM , Renata Ticha
- Surveyor training and quality monitoring: Surveyor Experience, Investigating the Impact of Collecting NCI Data on Research Assistants in Oregon, Alice Longley Miller
- Beyond the Survey_The Impact of NCI in AZ: VIDEO
What Do NCI Data Show About Respondents Who Need Some or Extensive Support for Self-Injurious Behavior (SIB)?
This webinar discussed results of a recent data brief produced by NCI: “What Do NCI Data Show About Respondents Who Need Some or Extensive Support for Self-Injurious Behavior (SIB)?” in which we examined the characteristics and outcomes experienced by NCI respondents who are identified as needing supports for SIB to those of respondents who are identified as not needing some or extensive support for SIB. An analysis of the characteristics of this group of adults and outcomes from services provides the foundation for both policy and clinical considerations. The webinar continued with a presentation from Susan Beck, the Associate State Director of Policy at South Carolina Department of Disabilities and Special Needs and David Rotholz, the Executive Director of the Center for Disability Resources at the University of South Carolina School of Medicine. They discussed efforts to implement Positive Behavior Support underway at the state level in South Carolina.
Staff Stability 2016: Webinar for Providers
ANCOR webinar: NCI 2015 Staff Stability Survey Report--February 13, 2017
Mary Lou Bourne, NASDDDS Dorothy Hiersteiner, HSRI
Webinar for NASDDDS Membership: The National Core Indicators® 2015 Staff Stability Survey Report Overview
Recording of webinar: https://nasddds.adobeconnect.com/p8bl0ktc6v9/
November 3, 2016: Sarah Taub/NCI Webinar Series: Friendship and Life Outcomes for Adults With Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities
Link to the recorded webinar. https://hsri.adobeconnect.com/p18d5nay3ww/
Reinventing Quality: 2016
NCI Annual Meeting, August 3, 2016: Baltimore, MD
- STATE OF THE SURVEY: Highlights from 2014-15 Reports (Alixe Bonardi)
- STATE OF THE SURVEY: NCI Staff Stability Survey (Dorothy Hiersteiner)
- STATE OF THE SURVEY: NCI-AD Upcate (Julie Bershadsky)
- STATE OF THE SURVEY:: Cost Survey (Mary Lou Bourne)
- REPORTING OVERVIEW: Data Visualization Intro (Alixe Bonardi)
- STATE PANEL: OHIO (Tina Evans, Marc Tasse, Hope McGonigle)
- STATE PANEL: CALIFORNIA (Renee Kurjiaka)
- STATE PANEL: VIRGINIA (Parthy Dinora)
- ENSURING ONGOING QUALITY: Background Data Collection Best Practices (Alixe Bonardi)
- ENSURING ONGOING QUALITY: Background Information Reliabvlity Study (Renata Ticha)
- IMPLEMENTATION UPDATE: Survey Tools and ODESA (Steph Giordano)
- IMPLEMENTATION UPDATE: RFP and Contracting (Mary Lou Bourne)
- HYPOTHETICAL CASE EXAMPLE: Guardianship
- HYPOTHETICAL CASE EXAMPLE: Abuse and Neglect
June 29, 2016: Working in the Community: The Status and Outcomes of People with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities in Integrated Employment
Dorothy Hiersteiner, NCI Project Coordinator & John Butterworth, Director of Employment Systems Change and Evaluation Senior Research Fellow at the Institute for Community Inclusion, at University of Massachusetts, Boston--- Link to Webinar: https://hsri.adobeconnect.com/p3lsgkatiae/
NCI Family Surveys Direct Entry Option 2016-17
June 7: AAIDD Conference: The National Core Indicators Staff Stability Survey
June 5, 2016: NADSP Conference: The National Core Indicators Staff Stability Survey
May 25, 2016: Supporting Individuals and Families to Have Full and Meaningful Lives as Members of Their Communities
Staff Stability Survey: OH Webinar
Outcomes For Adults On The Autism Spectrum Receiving Services In 31 States: Putting The Research In Context
Valerie Bradley, President of Human Services Research Institute Ari Ne'eman, Autistic Self Advocacy Network PART 1: https://hsri.adobeconnect.com/p3f1y8moqr7/ PART 2: https://hsri.adobeconnect.com/p9sr0upvya2/
NCI and HCBS Webinar : State Level Monitoring of Compliance: Feb 22, 2016
NASDDDS 2015 Directors Forum & Annual Conference, November 18-20,2015
NCI Staff Stability Survey 2015: Introduction and Orientation Webinar
Sarah Taub NCI Webinar Series: Self-Determination: Are We there Yet? A Brief Status Report from the US and Beyond
NCI Annual Meeting: August 12, 2015 in Costa Mesa, CA
- Welcome to AIDD: Kathy Cargill-Willis
- How States Are Using NCI: Chad Midgley (UT)
- How States Are Using NCI As Part Of The HCBS Quality Assurance: Erica Hendricks (HSRI) (with assistance from Elizabeth Pell)
- How States Are Using NCI As Part Of The HCBS Quality Assurance: Mary Sowers (NASDDDS)
- Adult Consumer Survey Tool Background Reliability and Validity: Julie Bershadsky (HSRI) and Amy Hewitt (NASDDDS)
- NCI Research: Val Bradley (HSRI)
- ICI UMASS Boston Research: NCI and Employment Data: Allison Cohen Hall (ICI UMASS Boston)
- UC Davis Research: NCI Data in CA
- What We Learned From the Mid-Year Check In Calls: Dorothy Hiersteiner (HSRI)
- Update on NCI-AD: Julie Bershadsky (HSRI) and Kelsey Walter (NASUAD)
- NCI Staff Stability Survey: Dorothy Hiersteiner (HSRI) and Mary Lee Fay (NASDDDS)
- RTC On Community Living at UMN: Use of NCI Data: Amy Hewitt (UMN)
- NCI Survey Changes 2014-15 vs 2015-16: Stephanie Giordano (HSRI)
- CA Resources: Self Advocate Agenda Template
- CA Resources: Self Advocate Minutes Template
- CA Resources: Self-Advocate Presentation Example
WEBINAR RECORDING: The Sarah Taub NCI Webinar Series: Rights and Respect
Jonathan Martinis, Legal Director at the Quality Trust for Individuals with Disabilities https://nasddds.adobeconnect.com/p4i1hbii0bo/
AAIDD Conference, Louisville, KY June, 2015
Elizabeth Pell, HSRI; Deborah Dorfman, Center for Public Representation; Paige Emerson, SDM Pilot Advisory Council; Amanda Benoit, SDM Participant; Maggy Walto, Nonotuck Resource Associates.
AAIDD Conference, Louisville, KY June, 2015
Angela Novak Amado, Institute on Community Integration, University of MN; Kim Zoeller, Ray Graham Associates, Lisle, IL; Elizabeth Pell, HSRI, Cambridge, MA
AAIDD Conference, Louisville KY, June 2015
Val Bradley and Elizabeth Pell, HSRI
AAIDD Conference, Louisville, KY June, 2015
Valerie Bradley, Human Services Research Institute; Sue Kelly, Delmarva Foundation; Drew Smith, CQL
Real Lives Advisory Board, Massachusetts. May, 2015
Val Bradley, HSRI
NADSP Conference, Louisville KY, May2015
Val Bradley and Dorothy Hiersteiner
The National Association of State Directors of Developmental Disabilities Services (NASDDDS) Annual Meeting, November, 2014
Valerie Bradley, President of HSRI
ANCOR Webinar: National Core Indicators: Employment Trends for Adults with ID/DD and Suggestions for Policy Development
John Butterworth, ICI at UMASS, Boston Josh Engler Dorothy Hiersteiner
NASDDDS Webinar: Supporting Individuals with I/DD and Co-Occurring Mental Health Needs
Dorothy Hiersteiner, NCI Josh Engler, NCI Julie Gentile, M.D. Professor of Psychiatry, Department of Psychiatry Wright State University School of Medicine - Dayton, OH.
Association of People Supporting Employment First (APSE) Conference in Long Beach, CA, July, 2014
John Butterworth, ICI at UMASS, Boston Josh Engler Dorothy Hiersteiner
American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (AAIDD) Annual Meeting, Orlando, FL. June 23-25, 2014.
Julie Bershadsky Dorothy Hiersteiner Stephanie Giordano Cheryl Sartori
Sarah Taub NCI Webinar: Understanding NCI Reports
ANCOR WEBINAR: Medication Use in Adults with ID/DD Living in Community Homes and State Efforts to Reduce Overuse
Valerie Bradley and Dorothy Hiersteiner, HSRI; Gail Grossman, Massachusetts Department of Developmental ServicesEmily Lauer, Shriver Center; Eddie Towson, Georgia Division of Developmental Disabilities;Sue Kelly, Delmarva Foundation
Sarah Taub NCI Webinar: Individuals with ID/DD Who Communicate Nonverbally
Association of University Centers on Disabilities Annual Meeting, November, 2013, Washington, DC
Dorothy Hiersteiner, Julie Bershadsky, HSRI
National Association for the Dually Diagnosed Conference, October, 2013
Stephanie Giordano and Julie Bershadsky, HSRI
Sarah Taub Webinar Series: How Do Services for People with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities Compare By Race/Ethnicity
American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (AAIDD) Annual Meeting, Pittsburgh, PA. June 3-6, 2013.
Julie Bershadsky, HSRI and Chas Moseley, NASDDDS
This Powerpoint is used during trainings for new states. It gives a general overview of the NCI project, current activities, and examples of how states use their data.
International Association for the Scientific Study of Intellectual Disabilities (IASSID) World Congress, Halifax, Nova Scotia. July 9-14, 2012.
Dr. Roger Stancliffe, University of Sydney; Sarah Taub, Dr. Julie Bershadsky, and Josh Engler, HSRI.
American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (AAIDD) 136th Annual Meeting, Charlotte, North Carolina. June 18-21, 2012.
Chas Moseley, NASDDDS; Sarah Taub and Julie Bershadsky, HSRI
Irish National Disability Authority in Dublin, Ireland. October 13, 2011. "People with disabilities participating fully and safely in the community."
Val Bradley, HSRI
American Association of Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (AAIDD) Annual Conference in St. Paul, MN. June 6-9, 2011
Roger Stancliffe, University of Sydney; Val Bradley, HSRI; Chas Moseley, NASDDDS; Sarah Taub, HSRI; Julie Bershadsky, HSRI
Reinventing Quality Conference in Baltimore, MD. August 9, 2010. “Quality Improvement: Connecting the Data Dots.”
Chas Moseley, Associate Executive Director, National Association of State Directors of Developmental Disabilities Services (NASDDDS); Eddie Towson, Quality Assurance Director, Georgia Division of Developmental Disabilities; Marion Oliver, Delmarva Project Director, Georgia Quality Management System; Elyse Luke, Quality Assurance and Improvement, Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services.